When you are trying to get your business out into the world and create a presence for yourself in it, understanding the components of a digital marketing strategy is crucial to your success. You need to come up with a plan that will involve various aspects of your business such as, how you would like to market your company, what products or services you are going to offer your clients and how you intend to utilize different online media to get your message across. Without any solid foundation or system of marketing your business, it is unlikely that you will see much in the way of sales. Let us take a look at some components of a digital marketing strategy.
Understanding the Components of a Digital Marketing Strategy
What is a digital strategy for business today? Maybe this is just another ephemeral category, a way to spend money nowhere? Unfortunately, no.
Just as the Internet is developing at a rapid pace, pushing the development of IT technologies, so the company’s development strategy in it is rather a way not to lose, but to preserve and increase its business. The Internet is good because it is suitable for anyone – both a schoolboy and an oligarch. Everyone has their own goals and motives. But this article will focus on digital strategy for private medium-sized Pakistan non-resource businesses.
Achieving a goal is success. Thinking by analogy, like 99% of people on Earth, we will assume that a digital strategy is a set of actions that will lead a company to success on the Internet.
What can be the company’s goals on the Internet? The most diverse. The main thing is to formulate the goal using the SMART method, or at least close to IT:
- Increase sales of plumbing equipment by 50% using the online channel.
- Increase your content project traffic to 50 thousand visitors per day in six months and start earning money on the affiliate program.
- Create a positive image of the employer for young professionals to rely not only on material motivation.
However, before the goal is formulated, some businessmen wonder whether they need to use the Internet space in principle.
Only a third-party expert can determine whether a digital company needs it
Owners and top managers of companies rightly consider themselves experts in their industry and usually decide for themselves what is best for their home company. But this approach is fraught with painful rakes.
- Managers “cook” in their own turnover to clear up the huge flow of information that falls on them every day. It is almost impossible to keep track of changing trends in Internet marketing in this mode.
- an Ordinary “loaded” top Manager on the question of whether the company needs digital, immediately climbs to see what competitors are doing in this area. In some cases, competitors in the industry do nothing and feel good about themselves. The Manager calms down and puts off Internet marketing for “later”, without thinking that later it may be too late. The company will simply be outstripped by competitors.
- From digital experts, as a rule, wide-ranging industry experience. They run many projects at the same time and, in one way or another, are always up to date with the latest trends in the Internet environment. In addition, they can clearly say what benefits will be brought by a business development strategy developed together with the owner on the Internet.
A well-designed Internet marketing strategy contains mandatory elements, which will be discussed later.
Essential elements of a digital strategy
- Taking into account the industry specifics of the client’s business
It is necessary to consider not only the micro-level -industry, but also the micro Level-industry in which the company operates. The category of “micro Level-industry” is akin to the concept of specialization of a company. I’ll give you an example.
The company is engaged in food trading. Trade is a macro-industry, and food is a micro-industry, that is, the company’s specialization. You need to consider how trends of trading in General and food separately, so that, on the one hand, to seize the trends of development, and, on the other – not to look stupid in their design, relatively trying to reinvent the wheel when it has long been a car.
In addition, understanding industry trends will help you further understand who the real competitors of the company are, and not just by the top ten sites shown in the top search engine results.
- Composition of the digital strategy
2.1. Diagnostics of the website, the incoming stream of leads and cost/benefit
Quite often, companies do not realize that they are not using their site 100%. This is why because of well stable companies over the years learn to do without this information channel, using the Internet only for email. But things are changing. Competition is getting tougher. Those who are the first to realize the potential of online development have the best chance of becoming leaders. On the other hand, a leading company should not neglect its digital strategy if it wants to remain dominant in the market.
The company’s website performs many important functions today:
1) sales of goods/services
- interactive sales of services and products;
- attracting new customers; promo codes and discounts;
- conducting marketing campaigns to increase trade turnover;
2) attracting employees
- the creation of career sections on the website;
- resume submission form;
- introduction of preliminary testing of candidates on the site;
3) detailed information about the company
- map of the company’s offices or stores;
- the site is open 24 hours, so the user can always get information about the company;
4) the involvement of partners, contractors
establish relationships with an existing new partners of any company
5) advertising the company on the web
Promote or Support of any company’s image on the Internet
6) automation of business processes
- improving the speed of service
- ticket system
- information service and representation purposes.
In addition to the website, the company may have single-page landing pages. While a company’s corporate website can play many roles and is tied to its corporate identity, landing pages (commonly referred to as “landing pages”) are only needed for sales. They can have an intricate design and close the user to themselves, in fact allowing them to either perform a target action (buy, download, write, call), or leave.
- the site is responsive
- the site has good traffic quality indicators, which, however, also depends on the traffic sources (bounces, the number of pages viewed, the average time spent by the user on the site)
- the site plays a significant role in the company’s business.
It is in the last point that the main reserve for applying a digital strategy lies.
2.2. The company’s positioning in the Internet
Positioning online, as well as offline, answers the question: do users who have encountered the company at one of the points of contact in the network (website, landing page, banner, ad, article, etc.) understand what the company does and how it helps this world become better?
2.3. Tasks that the company can solve more effectively by operating online
A task is simply a unit of action that is smaller in scale than the goal. Let’s say the company’s goal is to enter a new market. How can a digital strategy help you here? Here are some examples:
- Geo targeting content for a specific region
- article plan: we publish articles in popular publications among participants
- calculating the capacity of those interested in the company’s services/products for a new market
- building an online sales system for the market-region, etc.
There can be many tasks, and they directly determine how we will solve them.
2.4. Digital tools with justification for their use
A huge number of notes have been written about tools in Internet marketing, and most of them can be devoted to the description of each of them in a whole series of articles. Therefore, we will confine ourselves to a brief description of the advantages and disadvantages of each of them.
|Corporate website||1. any site costs are an investment in your asset;|
2. it can be the center of any company activity: sales, webinars, announcements, communication, etc.;
3. unloading the company’s call center, as you can place a lot of available 24/7 information on the site
|1. without external promotion, it may lose its usefulness;|
2. requires constant attention to yourself for improvements, promotion, and security
|SEO. Promotion to the top positions of search engines by search queries||1. consumer confidence as a non-advertising channel;|
2. the most targeted traffic after you have type-in traffic;
3. the ability to plan a budget for the year, starting with a small size;
4. a high level of conversion of visitors into customers
|1. it is difficult to predict the result; often ” dancing with a tambourine»;|
2. in fact, forcing changes to some elements of the site for SEO,which is not always convenient;
3. 3. long term for achieving sustainable results;
5. high dependence on third parties: search engines, webmasters
|Contextual advertising||1. targeting: behavioral, temporal, geo-targeting, socio-demographic, thematic, devices;|
2. quick launch;
3. manageability: budget, keywords, ads, etc.
|1. requires effort to create a good clickable ad;|
2. mark the ad as ” advertising»;
3. ads can be forcibly disabled by the search engine in case of poor performance indicators;
4. big budgets, especially in competitive niches
|Display ads||1. mass audience reach;|
2. emotions and motives in the message;
3. a good thing to remember when you repeat;
4. it integrates well with retargeting
|1. serious budgets;|
2. practically inapplicable for sales in the classic banner version;
3. it can seriously annoy users
|Social network||1. ability to influence your target audience in an informal setting;|
2. good Analytics progress in the advertising;
3. large and constantly growing audience
|1. do not forget that users of social networks are set up for entertainment and recreation, and not to buy something, learn, etc., so the result of any advertising campaign is poorly predicted|
|Video ads||1. broad audience reach;|
2. it is well suited for viral campaigns;
3. “it’s better to see it once than hear it 100 times.” And the video allows you to see and hear the advertising message of the audience;
4. there are several formats for testing: InStream, InDisplay, video SEO
|1. poor targeting;|
2. to make a really high-quality video, you may need significant costs;
3. successful large-scale advertising promotion will cost a lot of money
|Email marketing||1. a well-designed email strategy is guaranteed to increase the loyalty of your partners;|
2. free of charge, except for the cost of content and delivery vehicles;
3. allows you to build up your customer base;
4. space for creativity: the design of letters and segmentation of the database
|1. due to the increase in the number of spam mailings, normal useful emails are also available|
2. often blocked; high probability of getting annoyed if you are too Intrusive;
3. there must be an unsubscribe button
- Budgeting and planning, KPIs
An important part of the strategy is also budgeting the selected tools and determining the projected ROI. It doesn’t make sense to develop an effective strategy if no one can understand how much money the company has saved or brought in.
|Company’s website||Bounce rates||A user stays on the site for less than 15 seconds or leaves the site after viewing one page (Google Analytics). A high bounce rate means that the user is not interested in the site’s content|
|Time on the site||Time that users spend on the site|
|Depth of view||How many pages are viewed by users on the site|
|SEO (Search Engine Optimization)||The position of the site||Position for queries in search engines|
|Traffic to the site from branded queries||The number of users who came to the site from organic search for queries containing the name of the company and/or brands belonging to it|
|Traffic to the site from non-branded queries||The number of users who came to the site from organic search for queries that do not contain the company name and/or brands belonging to it. As a rule, these are so-called simple commercial requests|
|Contextual advertising||Impressions||Number of times the ad was viewed|
|CPC||Cost per click on an ad|
|CTR||Click-through rate. It is defined as the ratio of the number of clicks on a banner or ad to the number of impressions, measured as a percentage|
|CPL||Cost of attracting a lead|
|CPO||Cost of attracting sales (not every lead goes on sale)|
|Display ads||Same as in contextual advertising, plus:|
|CPM||Price per 1000 impressions|
|Video ads||Same as in display ads, plus:|
|The duration of the video view||How many minutes did a person watch from the whole video|
|SMM (Social Media Marketing)||Number of participants||Number of subscriptions, community members|
|Coverage||Number of users who see our posts|
|Number of likes, reposts, and comments||These are indicators that reflect the activity and “quality” of community members|
|Email marketing||% of opening emails|
|Traffic to the site||Number of users who read the email and clicked on the link to the site|
|Duration of viewing the video on the landing page||The measure of quality traffic|
|In principle, the same indicators are important for electronic mailings as for the site and for contextual advertising|
For each type of promotion, the number of leads is calculated and you must be able to calculate the ROI for final sales.
- Recommendation of specific partners for the realization of the strategy
Often, a company that develops a digital strategy for a large organization tends to close the implementation of all the steps described in it to itself. This is due to common sense (“I developed it Myself-I implement it myself”) and the desire of the developer company to earn more money. However, there is a downside to the coin: you need to clearly understand that one company is good at SEO promotion, and the other is a leader in social media promotion.
Therefore, a self-respecting expert will always honestly tell you who can best implement a particular idea.
- Concept of the Analytics system
A Digital strategy should not only describe the main online business processes, but also prepare the basis for reporting. What metrics should I monitor? What Analytics systems should I use? What goals should I set?
- Analysis of competitors
It’s an important part which is using in Development strategy
As part of competitor analysis, no more than four competitor websites are analyzed based on the following parameters
- total traffic to the company’s website and competitors ‘ websites;
- traffic shares: direct hits, mailing lists, referrals, social networks, organic search, paid search, display advertising;
- traffic quality assessment: average session duration, bounce rate, and number of pages viewed.
- Author’s control for two months
It is important to understand that the developed digital strategy, even if it is a document that is unique in its usefulness, may not be clear to the customer at first.
You can never rely on the fact that the strategy in Internet marketing is implemented exactly in the form that the customer expected without your participation. To avoid negative feedback and misunderstandings, the expert must accompany the implementation of the strategy.
Modern digital strategy options
All seven elements of the Internet marketing strategy described above are essential for a high-quality strategy. However, it should be understood that there are different execution options, depending on what the company needs first.
- Development of the site (deep audit, strategy development)
The output is a report with specific recommendations, screenshots, and an action plan, as well as budgeting and ROI forecasts.
- SEO strategy (search engine promotion)
The output is: internal and external optimization, semantic core, report with specific recommendations, screenshots and action plan, budgeting and ROI forecasts.
- The system of online sales (strategy, tools, tactics)
The output is: a set of online sales tools-understanding how to apply them, budgeting and ROI forecasts, a methodology for tracking the effectiveness of online sales, and a report with specific recommendations.
- Internet PR
As an output, we get a media plan with budgeting, a strategy for working in social networks and blogs, the basics of developing corporate online TV, and a method for writing articles.
- Email marketing (strategy, segmentation, plan)
At the exit, the client receives a strategy for the development of electronic mailings of the company.
In conclusion, website development is a basic part of the digital strategy, which is combined consistently with all other parts. For example, a digital strategy may consist of the components “site Development” and “SEO strategy”, but it cannot include “site Development” and only “online sales System”, as in this case an very Essential Part of SEO development is not found. In other sense, a digital strategy is a constructor consisting of website Development, Search engine optimization strategy and digital sales System.